Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Carolling

Tonight we got all dressed in layers-my kids and I and we went out carolling for New Heights north. We had a very stressful day. There was a certain amount of interpersonal conflict. My book came today which I am supposed to be done reading and have written my paper for Sunday so now I am extremely behind. I had a number of phone calls come in on my cell so many that by the time we left to go to NHN my phone battery was going dead. I had a business snafu that may have cost me the job I was gonna do on Friday (and the people who were working with me and they need the money as much or more than I do.) Dinner was just tv dinners and rushed.

We don't do this all that often cause tv dinners don't have nutrients in large enough quantities to keep people healthy. Sorry TV dinner people...

Anyway, once again things combine to try to keep us from doing what we were supposed to do. I did blow it on reminding some people-don't know if it would really have made any difference. We started carolling at about 6:10 and went to one house before one of the guys who could have been with us. The woman who came to the door was very touched. In fact everyone that we sang for seemed very blessed.

One interesting thing that happened was that people kept letting their kids join us and the kids loved the carolling even though many of them could not read the words and did not sing. Some were rambunctious and we did go back to the community room for hot cocoa and cookies after probably sending home a batch of kids that were hopped up on sugar but hey, sugar burns fast and dies hard so I'm sure it all worked.

In the mean time a brother who has been involved with NHN stayed and played music on his keyboard and sang songs and talked to anyone that came in the community room while we were gone.

Old things that work often still work. Who carols any more. Answer: I do. God can use any act of kindness to touch the heart of someone. We need to be real and that means doing real things as opposed to so many folks who do theoretical things that they never get around to making actual. Old things that work actually usually still work unless there is a specific reason that they won't anymore.

Anyway. despite the struggles we did what we were supposed to do and afterwards we had a fairly peaceful as in less strife, night. I was unable to make a hospital visit in order to spend a little time with my kids which hasn't been happening. My greatest blessing (wife) and my deacon are out of town and I miss having them around (especially my wife!)

Moral of the bloggy (this is like a story but in a blog) Do what God would have you do and take struggles as a sign that you are possibly on the right course. Time will tell for sure.

Further moral: Kids like carolling ( even when they don't know the songs) and older persons like being sung to. Carolling may be an ancient and lost art but it works for me.

Give it a try.

Pastor Dan
www.newheightsfellowshipchurch.org

No comments: