Monday, December 13, 2010

Monday mornings

Every pastor probably faces the same conundrum for Monday mornings. Because Sundays are our most extreme work day- At least I hope we get pretty worked up and pour out a lot of energy on Sunday-Monday mornings are a tired time.

Just for the record, I don't really believe that Christians should be a sleeping-in kinda' people. Sleeping in isn't a sin unless of course you are supposed to be doing something else while you are snoozing away. So, how do you avoid this? Develop a regular sleep pattern and stick with it. You can control your diet and develop a regular regimen of exercise. Being tired is pretty much a normal state for active people. No one is ever really at their absolute best endurance level. What I'm saying is that sleeping in does not necessarily solve your fatigue problem. While Getting enough sleep at regular structured intervals is important, eating right, proper hydration, and exercise actually remedy the fatigue problem.

Now, where was I. Yes, Monday mornings... I few hours for Sabbath which usually means rest and thinking about how good God is. Often, I include some Bible and certainly meditating on the word. By late morning I am ready to tackle some projects that have been nagging at me-there are always plenty of these-and I'm off to the races again.I do schedule sabbath times throughout the week. I never seem to get a full day sabbath but I do take a one-seventh model into account when planning my schedule. Then I treat these times like they are VERY important.

Praise God for work and rest and the wonderful way they go together like book ends.

What is up with bookends anyway? I gues there was a time when bookends were needed cause people wanted to stand up books on a table rather than putting them on a book shelf. Other than that, what's the point? For a while I had a set of book ends that I really liked and I put them on the ends of my books on my book shelf. Then one day it occurred to me that they were taking up valuable book shelf space. Now, they are gone. Admittedly, the one little boat had broken and the piece had gone missing ... I liked them but not as much as the books themselves. Bookends-go figure...

Pastor Dan
http://www.newheightsfellowshipchurch.org/

No comments: