Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Ministry today

I'm headed out to empty the back of the little red pickup truck so I can go and purchase 800 canned goods and deliver them to the life station. We've been seeing more and more clients than ever. Some people need to eat while the food bank hasn't supplied canned veggies or fruit in a couple of months.

Ariana is it school for workout Wednesday and she was super excited. Ardin got himself up and got on the bus without any help- not bad for a 13 year old that complains he doesn't get enough sleep. Aaron and I had to have a conversation this morning about pushing your limits with video games and certain behaviors.

This is what life looks like when you have two raised daughters who are raising children of Their Own, Two teenage boys who are struggling to find their way in the world and to keep Christ at the center as well as  a charming, growing four year  old who needs your full attention. Of course,  the world's problems won't wait. They don't  get less hungry when you get up slower and the bags of groceries don't get fillled by themselves.

Think again Three Needs editing. The sermon for Sunday needs finished, polished, and practiced. Really important thank you letters need typed and sent out. A really important newsletter article needs written and emailed off. Articles for the newspaper need written and the newspapers that we partner with for distribution need distributed. My wife is back to work today full time after our vacation celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.

It seems like whatever I do today I'll do alone with the help of God. I just thought of one person who may be available to help. That would sure be nice.

While every church member is at work today, baring their own burdens, trying to honor Christ, trying to make the best decision they know how, I'll be blessed to tackle the things that God has given me to do.

I was watching a movie on the flight over to the UK and an Afghanistan warlord was talking about the difference between him and an American officer and he said, paraphrase: You see that's the difference between you and I, you have leaders above you and orders and I have only God.

Everyone submits to something or someone. This is true even if what they submit to is the effort to not submit. Rebellon is like witchcraft.

I pray that we will stay the course and Honor God. He is wothy of it. I know a man who was near miraculously saved from drugs who is right now struggling with drinking. I know a man who was miraculously freed from smoking who eventually compromised and went back to it after years. What are we doing?

Just as we start to win we accept the world's argument that it's more complex than we thought. We start thinking that it's too much or too easy to boil it down to Christ and Christ alone. But when I am sane I realize that all things relate to Christ and there's no other way to see it.

Anyway, there is so much to be done that I feel pulled to question is it all worth the investment. The Spirit in me says, of course it is. I have just one master- and He is the God of the universe.

My mystic friend who will not give up the pursuit as he is trying to frame the world in his own thinking will have to come to his own conclusions but my conclusion is simple. It's time now to clear the bed of the truck, to purchase and haul can goods. Yep, it's time to get up and take another swing at hunger. So, that's what I do.

P. Daniel Stevenson
New Heights Fellowship Baptist Church of East Toledo

Life station

Fire storm church planting and Evangelism

Fog and Moon Books



Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

No comments: